for the cake:
(for high 6" cake)
200g unsalted butter, softened
200 g caster sugar
3 extra large eggs (170 g) at room temperature
200 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1. In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Beat the butter until mayonnaise consistency.
3. Add the sugar. Cream well.
4. Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each one.
5. Add the flour and baking powder mixture in two additions. Combine well without over eating the batter.
for the lemon syrup:
100 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
75 g sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp dark rum
1. Place the juice, sugar and honey in a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
2. Remove from heat. Let it cool.
3. Add the rum.
4. Store in an air-tight jar or bottle until needed for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
for the cream Mousseline:
250 ml milk
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
100 g sugar
25 g corn starch
1 tsp vanilla extract
175 g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
1. Bring the milk to boil.
2. Beat slightly the egg and egg yolks, sugar and starch without over beating.
3. Pour half of the hot milk into the egg mixture, stirring constantly (dissolving the sugar). Pour the yolk mixture back to the pot where the other half of the milk is and place over medium heat.
4. Stir constantly with a whisk attachment.
5. Place the pastry cream in a deep dish, cover it with cling foil, (the foil should touch the cream). Leave to cool at room temperature.
6. Beat the pastry cream, adding the cubes of butter in portions. Beat until fluffy.
for the Meringue:
80 g egg whites (2 extra large eggs)
140 g sugar
30 g water
1. Place the water and sugar in a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to a boil, without stirring.
2. Cook the syrup for about 5-7 min.
3. While the syrup is cooking, beat the whites to a soft peaks.
4. Slowly, add the boiling syrup, beating continuously, until the meringue reaches room temperature and holds hard peaks.
1. Build the cake: Place one cake ring. Spread one third of the lemon syrup throughout the cake. Cover with one quarter of the cream Mousseline. Top with the second ring, syrup and level with the cream. Finish with the third cake ring. Syrup with the last quantity of the syrup.
2. Gently Cover the sides and top pf the cake with the reserved last quarter of the cream. Smooth the sides.
3. Spoon the meringue in a piping bag with plain tip. Pipe mounts all over the top of the cake.
4. Decorate with lemon slices. Drizzle some honey on the lemons.
Store in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.