for the yellow cake:
You will need half recipe of Genoise Cake
You will need one recipe of chocolate ganache
for the chocolate cake:
4 egg whites
180 g sugar
200 g butter, softened
3 g vanilla extract
180 g all purpose flower
40 g cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
Heat the oven to 170. Prepare a round 6" cake form.
1. Beat the egg whites with 2/3 of the sugar, until firm.
2. Beat the butter with rest of the sugar and vanilla extract until creamy.
3. Combine the dry ingredients. Add 1/3 of it to the butter. Beat slightly.
4. Add half of the egg white mixture. Mix. Add the second third of the dry ingredients, followed by the whites, finishing with the last part of the flour.
5. Bake in the prepared pan for about 30-40 min, or until dry centre.
1. Cut the cooled cakes in two layers. The chocolate cake is cut in three layers. Cut the third layer in small pieces and store in an air tight container. Have the pieces on their own. Perfect tea deserts.
2. Use two different size glasses or bowls. Using the bigger bowl, cut out the bigger insert of both - white and cocoa cakes. Cut out the smaller inserts from the first cut cakes.
3. Place the bigger white cake inserts in the chocolate rings, and fill with the chocolate smaller cakes. Fill the white cakes ring with the chocolate bigger cake and fill with the white small cake insert.
4. Assemble the cake, spreading the chocolate ganache on each layer, making sure the checkmate effect is achieved.
5. Glase top and sides of the cake with the rest of the ganache.